DGIF is responsible for the management of inland fisheries, wildlife, and recreational boating for the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Board of Game and Inland Fisheries
The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries’ mission is:
- to manage Virginia’s wildlife and inland fish to maintain optimum populations of all species to serve the needs of the Commonwealth;
- to provide opportunity for all to enjoy wildlife, inland fish, boating and related outdoor recreation and to work diligently to safeguard the rights of the people
- to hunt, fish and harvest game as provided for in the Constitution of Virginia;
- to promote safety for persons and property in connection with boating, hunting and fishing;
- to provide educational outreach programs and materials that foster an awareness of and appreciation for Virginia’s fish and wildlife resources, their habitats, and hunting, fishing, and boating opportunities.