The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C) built Lower Sherando Lake (20 acres) in the mid-1930s, and the U.S. Soil Conservation Service built Upper Sherando Lake (seven acres) in 1958, both as flood control lakes. They are owned by the U. S. Forest Service and located in the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests. Full recreational facilities include campgrounds, swimming beach, bathhouse, and hiking trails. Small boats and canoes must be carried in, as there is no ramp. Lower Sherando has a very good largemouth bass fishery. Bluegill and redear sunfish angling improved in the 1990s. Trophy channel catfish are present due to some changes in the stocking plan. Both lakes are stocked with catchable trout. The upper lake was drained in October 2001 and was restocked with largemouth bass, bluegill, and redear sunfish in 2002. Trout stocking and channel catfish stocking also resumed in 2002 in the upper lake.
Maps & Directions
The Sherando Lakes are located off Forest Development Road (FDR) 91 about five miles south of Sherando (Route 614) in Augusta County. For more information, call the Glenwood Ranger District at Natural Bridge Station at 540-291-2189.
Map to Upper Sherando Lake:
Map to Lower Sherando Lake:
From June 16 through September 30, general statewide fishing regulations apply. At this time no trout license is required. October 1 through June 15 a trout license is required. A National Forest Stamp is required all year.