Youth-Only Stocked Trout Program
Recruitment and retention of trout anglers is one of the main issues outlined in the DGIF Virginia Stocked Trout Management Plan. One of the strategies listed in the Plan is to establish youth-only stocked trout waters. In 2016 the DGIF Board passed a regulation establishing Youth-Only Stocked Trout Waters.
Waters in this program will be designated by the Director and considered Youth-Only from April 1 through June 15.
- Only youth 15 years of age and younger may participate
- Daily trout creel limit is three
- Adults (17 years of age and older) are not required to have a freshwater fishing license or trout license to assist youth
- Adults assisting youth (12 years of age and younger) can:
- bait the hook
- assist in casting
- assist with removing the fish from the hook/line
- Adults cannot assist with setting the hook and/or retrieving the fish
- From June 16 through March 31, statewide fishing regulations and licensing requirements will apply.
- Parking or access fees may be required at some locations.
Youth-Only Waters will be stocked 3 times between April 1 and June 1. Stocking times may vary depending on the distance from the hatchery to the receiving water. VDGIF will strive to stock between 10:00am and 2:00 pm. VDGIF may postpone or change the date of any of these stocking events due to circumstances that compromise the resource or public safety.
|Northern Fauquier Community Park Pond (Marshall)
(4155 Monroe Parkway)
|April 3, April 14, May 9, 2017|
|South River – Basic Park (Waynesboro)
(1405 Genicom Drive)
|April 13, May 4,
The scheduled May 26 stocking of the Youth Only Area on South River in Basic Park (Waynesboro) is postponed until May 30 due to high water/flooding stream conditions.
|Cave Mountain Lake (Natural Bridge)
(811 Cave Mountain Lake Road)
|April 6, May 5, May 25, 2017|
|Glen Alton Pond (Giles Co.)
(Route 635 / Glen Alton Road)
|April 1, April 22, May 12, 2017|
|Franklin County Park Pond (Rocky Mount)
(2150 Sontag Road)
|April 4, April 27, May 10, 2017|
|Ivy Creek – Peaks View Park (Lynchburg)
(1205 Ardmore Drive)
|April 11, April 28, May 12, 2017|
|South Fork Clinch River – Dunford Park (Tazewell)
(137 Riverview Lane)
|April 8, May 6, May 27, 2017|