Virginia Wildlife Photo Showcase
The Annual Photography Showcase is offered as a way to recognize the rich heritage of Virginia’s wildlife and natural resources and pay tribute to the mission of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. This year, we celebrate the Year of the Bird and ask photographers to focus some attention on our long-distant migrants: warblers, tanagers, and gros-beaks, for example.
Images will be chosen by the editorial staff from those submitted via our online link, available now! Selected images will appear in the July–August 2019 issue, although other entries may appear in accompanying features (as part of that issue) and/or on our website to promote the mission of the agency and advertise future photography showcases. Promotional usage rights must be available to Virginia Wildlife staff and to the Department’s webmaster.
The Categories Are:
- Virginia Fauna – native mammals (game and nongame), birds, insects, reptiles, and amphibians; underwater images of fsh and aquatic life*Sub-category: The Year of the Bird – all native birds, but especially neotropical migrants such as war-blers, tanagers, grosbeaks, thrushes, fycatchers, vireos, shorebirds, and hummingbirds. Some neotropical birds breed in Virginia and are present spring through fall, but other species only migrate through and must be observed in the spring (April/May) or in the fall (Sept/Oct).
- Virginia Landscapes & Flora – native plants, trees, fowers, and especially, scenic landscapes
- Textures & Patterns – abstract designs and patterns found in nature
- The Sporting Life – wildlife watching (game, nongame), hunting, fishing, boating, paddling, hiking, archery, bird dog training, for example.
- NEW! Trail-Cam Images – Photographs captured on your trail cameras that reveal something interesting or funny about the subject that may not have been seen otherwise
How to Enter
- The showcase is open to any photographer, amateur or professional, young and young at heart, including employees of the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.
- Each photographer may enter up to three (3) images per category. Note that submissions will not be returned and PRINTS ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTED. If you prefer to submit your photos on a CD or DVD by mail, please send to: 2019 Photography Showcase, Virginia Wildlife Magazine, P.O. Box 90778, Henrico, VA 23228.
- All entries must be identified by photographer name, city/state of residence, and daytime phone number in order to be published. Image location is helpful but not required.
- All entries must have been taken in Virginia of plants and animals native to Virginia, within the past five years. We prefer that all photos of wild animals be taken in their natural habitat.
- Digital images: Images submitted must have been shot at the highest resolution and size possible to meet publication requirements (native 240/300ppi and at minimum 8”x10”) but no larger than 64 MB per image. PLEASE do not overly sharpen, saturate, crop too tightly, or color correct.
- If you have trouble uploading your files, try another browser or update the one you have. Some browsers will not play nice with our system. Google Chrome seems to work, but older versions of Internet Explorer can pose challenges.
- Submissions must be uploaded or postmarked by 5:00 PM on Monday, February 4, 2019 and the best entries will appear in the July–August 2019 issue of this magazine.
Submit Your Photos Online
Please remember that each image must not be larger than 64 MB.