Virginia Wildlife Photo Showcase
The annual photography showcase is offered as a way to celebrate the rich heritage of Virginia’s wildlife and natural resources and pay tribute to the mission of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. Published images from those submitted will appear in the July–August 2018 issue; other entries may appear in accompanying features (as part of that issue) and on our website to promote the mission of the agency and advertise future photography contests. Promotional usage rights must be available to Virginia Wildlife staff and to the Department’s webmaster. This year, the best submissions will be published in the following general categories but will not be judged:
- Virginia Fauna – native mammals (game and nongame), birds, insects, reptiles, and amphibians; underwater images of fish and aquatic life
- Virginia Landscapes & Flora – native plants, trees, flowers, and especially, scenic landscapes
- Textures & Patterns – abstract designs/patterns found in nature
- The Sporting Life – wildlife (game, nongame), hunting, fishing, boating, and paddling activities afield
How to Enter
- The showcase is open to any photographer, amateur or professional, young and young at heart, including employees of the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.
- Each photographer may enter up to three (3) digital images per category. Note that submissions will not be returned and PRINTS ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTED. If you prefer to submit your photos on a CD or DVD by mail, please see these instructions.
- All entries must be identified by photographer name, city/state of residence, and daytime phone number in order to be published. Image location is helpful but not required.
- All entries must have been taken in Virginia of plants and animals native to Virginia. We prefer that all photos of wild animals be taken in their natural habitat.
- Digital images: Images submitted must have been shot at the highest resolution and size possible to meet publication requirements (native 240/300ppi). DO NOT overly sharpen, saturate, or color correct your images.
- Submissions must be uploaded or postmarked by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, February 5, 2018 and the best entries will appear in the July–August 2018 issue of this magazine.