Elevation: 1765 ft.
This site is controlled and managed by the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) and provides access to the mouth of Wolf Creek where the creek enters the South Holston Reservoir. A mosaic of mudflats, flooded forest and open woodland offers a real boon for wildlife watchers. A wide network of trails with prolific flowering plants cuts through the dense brushy vegetation. Habitat diversity found here supports a variety of birds including wetland waders, resident waterfowl, woodland songbirds, and a variety of other passerines. In winter and during migration the area supports a variety of shorebirds and waterfowl, while bald eagle are possible throughout the year. The numerous snags of dead wood are perfect sites for sunning eastern painted turtle while the quieter bays hold muskrat. Northern watersnake and snapping turtle also frequent the area.
Construction on the dam began in 1942, stalled during World War II, but resumed in 1947 until its completion in 1950. The reservoir is 24 miles long with approximately one fourth of the reservoir lying within Virginia.
Location: A small pullover/ parking area is available on Rt. 664/ Lake Rd, just east of its intersection with Green Springs Church Rd. The intersection of the two roads is located at
From the Previous Site on the South Holston Loop of the VBWT:
From Avens Bridge, return 0.5 miles on Green Springs Church Road to Rt. 664. Turn left on Rt. 664 and go 0.1 miles to the small parking area on left.