|COVID-19 & the VBWT: Be Safe While OutdoorsDGIF encourages you to be safe while outdoors. Before heading out, first check with individual sites on the Virginia Bird & Wildlife Trail to find out whether they are still open to the public. Information regarding closures is typically posted on a site's own website. Be advised that some sites, even if still open, may have certain public facilities closed during this time. If a site is still open, maintain CDC social distancing guidelines while enjoying the outdoors.|
Important Notices For This Site
|Bridge Closure at Goshen and Little North Mountain WMADue to ongoing safety concerns, the swinging bridge access over the Maury River at Goshen and Little North Mountain WMA has been closed to the public until further notice. This bridge is the public access point to the southern portion of the Little North Mountain WMA and the only access point to VDCR Division of Natural Heritage's Goshen Pass Natural Area Preserve.|
Elevation: 1558 ft.
The Denfield Access to the Goshen-Little North Mountain Wildlife Management Area provides access to over 33,000 acres of northern hardwood habitats. The southern end of this area can be accessed from SR 39 on the Lee-Jackson Loop. The trails in this area along Black Run increase in elevation to over 2700 feet. Walking quietly, a visitor may hear the drumming of ruffed grouse, or catch a glimpse of a black bear. Further, as you gain altitude, you may notice a distinct change in the species of birds from the valley to the ridge. The adventurous hiker may want to make for the ridge top where spectacular vistas of the Shenandoah Valley are available. During fall migration, the ridgetops may provide some great views of migrating raptors. Springs and seeps along the western side of Little North Mountain provide habitat for a wide variety of salamanders.
- To Access the Site: A Restore the Wild Membership, Virginia hunting license, freshwater fishing license, boat registration, or an access permit is required.
- This WMA is closed during the following seasons: mid-February – the first week in April and mid-May – the last week in September. The closure in the spring provides a rest for wildlife as turkeys are hatching and fawns are born and allows roads to dry from the weather and traffic of winter.
- Hunting could be occurring at this site April 1 – May 31 and September 1 – February 28th, except on Sundays. If you are visiting this site during hunting seasons, please wear blaze orange or blaze pink for safety.
Location: Between SR 39, 42, and 252, Walkers Creek and Pastures, VA
Per the map available on this WMA’s website, several different access roads can be taken to enter various points within the property. However, the Denfield Hunter Access is recommended as it leads to the most parking and trail entrances.
From SR 42, the Shillings Hunter Access and Jackson Hunter Access are on the left, before reaching SR 601/Estaline Valley Rd. Take this road and continue southwest past the Dump Road Hunter Access to reach the Denfield Hunter Access just before SR 682.
From the Previous Site on the Forest Trails Loop of VBWT:
From Montgomery Hall Park, return to Montgomery Avenue. In historic Staunton, turn left onto SR 254 West and travel for 9.4 miles to SR 42 South in Buffalo Gap. Continue straight on SR 42 South for 8.1 miles to Rt. 811. Turn left and go 0.2 miles to Rt. 601. Turn left and follow Rt. 601 for 3.1 miles to the WMA access road (Denfield Hunter Access) on the left. Turn left on the access road and continue 0.2 miles to the kiosk area. This road is controlled by a gate that is open seasonally.
Location & DirectionsView on Google Maps
- Site Contact: DGIF, Region 4 Office (Verona): 540-248-9360, BirdingTrail@dgif.virginia.gov
- Access: Daily. Restore the Wild Membership, hunting license, freshwater fishing license, boat registration, or an access permit is required.
Seasonal Bird Observations
- Hiking Trails
- Primitive Camping