If you’re planning to connect kids to the outdoors through hunting, fishing, boating, shooting sports, archery, trapping, and wildlife viewing – thank you and welcome to the Virginia Wildlife Grant Program!
Through this grant, DGIF and WFV are addressing opportunities to connect youth to the outdoors by providing a positive experience and through recruitment and retention efforts. “Recruitment” is raising awareness and interest through education and providing a trial or trials. “Retention” is encouraging youth to continue enjoying the outdoors with support through ongoing engagement.
Recruitment/Retention Program Eligibility
- Your program engages youth in one or more of the following eligible activities:
- Shooting Sports
- Wildlife Viewing
- Your program engages youth (ages 5-21) over the project period rather than a one-time event.
- Your program period is from November 01, 2017 – October 01, 2018.
- All grantees will be required to sign a grant agreement.
- No partial awards.
- Inclusion of underserved audiences such as at-risk youth, females, Hispanic populations, and urban centers.
- All grant purchases will include outdoor gear and equipment related to the eligible tasks (rods and reels, firearms, ammunition, binoculars, field guides, etc.).
- Instructor support to provide expertise related to the outdoor activity.
- Trout for stocking, t-shirts, refreshments, prizes, or other items not directly related to the activity
2017 Total Funding Available
- In excess of $50,000 – we are anticipating the funding of 20-25 projects.
- Minimum – $1,000
- Maximum – $3,000
- November 1, 2017 – October 01, 2018
- 501(c) (3) Non-Profits, Government Organizations, and Schools
Disbursement of Funds
- The WFV shall disburse 100 % of the funds to Grantee when the award is accepted.
- Checks not deposited by November 15, 2017 will result in revocation of the grant.
- Application Submission Deadline – September 1, 2017
- Award Announcement – by October 18, 2017
- Grant Agreement Signed – November 1, 2017
- Check Deposit – November 15, 2017
- Project Completion – October 1, 2018
- Final Report – November 1, 2018
- The Department contact is Tom Wilcox, VDGIF, (804) 367-6892, Tom.Wilcox@dgif.virginia.gov.