Skip to Main Content
How to Certify a Trophy-Size Freshwater Fish
Certifying Your Fish By Length and Photo:
- Lay the fish on top of or beside a flat measuring rule. Do not lay the rule over the curvature of the fish’s body.
- Close the fish’s mouth and squeeze the tail lobes together.
- Measure from the tip of the snout to the end of the tail to the nearest ¼ inch. See diagram.
- Have an observer verify the length and complete the witness information on the application. Or, take a picture of the fish and complete the length witness information yourself.
- Fish certified by length only (no certified weight), do not qualify for “Angler of the Month & Year Awards”.
Certifying Your Fish By Weight:
- Take your fish to a store with certified scales.
- Have a clerk weigh the fish and complete the weight witness information on the application.