The following regulation changes are new for 2017. More details can be found in sections that follow this summary.
Creel and Length Limits
- Seasonal slot limit on New River for muskellunge.
- Creel & length limit changes for catfish, longnose gar, bowfin and American eel
Non-Native (Exotic Animals)
- Anglers may legally harvest grass carp from public waters of the commonwealth, except from department-owned or department controlled lakes.
- A trout license is not required to fish designated stocked trout waters during Free Fishing Days, June 2-4, 2017.
- There is a new Pre-Announced Trout Stocking Program for spring, 2017.
- There is a new Youth-only Stocked Trout Program in designated waters.
- Cook Lake, Hearthstone Lake and Jerry’s Run will not be stocked this year. Bear Creek Reservoir (Wise County) has been added as a Category B water. Big Brumley Creek changed from a Category C to a Category B water.
- The delayed harvest section of South River is now Catch and Release only. The Reach of South River upstream of Waynesboro changed to 20-inch minimum, 1 fish per day, flyfishing only.
- Big Moccasin Creek, Indian Creek, and Middle Fork of Powell River have been added to the Delayed Harvest program.