Chronic Wasting Disease
CWD Snapshot - Updated 4/2016
Thank you to everyone who brought deer to a station or volunteered to staff a CWD check station in 2015! We sampled more than 1500 deer between October and January in Frederick, Shenandoah, Warren, and Clarke Counties.
2015 sampling efforts identified 3 new CWD-positive deer in western Frederick County. 2 were harvested by hunters and the 3rd was killed by a vehicle. All 3 deer were located within 2 miles of the West Virginia state line. As of March 2016, Virginia has diagnosed 13 CWD-positive white-tailed deer.
Beginning in 2015, and continuing into 2016, the CWD Containment Area includes all of Frederick, Clarke, Warren, and Shenandoah counties.
All hunters who harvest deer within the CA on the first two Saturdays of the general firearms season must bring their deer to a CWD check station for testing.
CWD has been found in 23 states and 2 Canadian provinces. For more information about this disease please our links further down this webpage.
Managing CWD in Virginia
CWD Containment Area
- CWD CA Map (PDF)
Information for Hunters
- CWD Sampling Stations & Refrigerator Head Drop Locations
- Transporting Carcasses Into and Out of Virginia
- Transporting Carcasses Within and Out of the Containment Area
- List of Taxidermists and Meat Processors (PDF)
- Check Test Results for Your Deer
- Results will be available 3-4 weeks after they are collected
- CWD Alliance - information and videos on the history of CWD, techniques for hunters, and regulations
- Carcass Handling Recommendations
- Carcass Disposal Map (PDF)
- Clarke County Dumpster Map (PDF)
- Carcass Disposal Recommendations (PDF)
- Natural Deer Urine Attractants: Illegal in Virginia
- Natural Deer Attractants - Letter to Hunters (PDF)
CWD Questions and Answers
All images are the property of the Virginia Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries.