Lake Maury

The Mariner's Museum as recently reopened the boat house area on Lake Maury to public fishing.

Jon boats, canoes and paddle boats can currently be rented from the boat house on Saturdays and Sundays from 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Trolling motors are available for rent. Visitors may provide their own electric trolling motor for use on Lake Maury. Gasoline motors are not permitted.

Limited shoreline fishing exists at Lake Maury. Anglers can only fish from the shoreline near the old boat house area. Anglers are reminded to stay within this area; fishing in any other locations could result in a ticket.

For additional information on Lake Maury, please contact the boat house at 757-591-7799.

No private boats are allowed on the lake.

Fishing regulations have been set by the museum to be catch and release only. A Virginia state fishing license is required.

Lake Maury is a 165-acre lake owned by the Mariner's Museum in Newport News. Built in 1931, it is the centerpiece of a 550-acre park and was named after Matthew Fontain Maury, a noted 19th century oceanographer and native Virginian. The museum is located at the intersection of Route 17 and Route 143. The lake contains a fair number of largemouth bass and sampling conducted in 2004 showed the bass population to be in decent condition. There was some improvement in population structure as shown by the greater proportion of larger fish in the sample when compared to the previous survey. In addition, some nice black crappie and white perch are available.

With the improved public access to Lake Maury, VDGIF will hopefully be able to conduct some well needed electrofishing surveys to evaluate the present fishery at some point during 2008.