New River - Regulations
Bass - Effective January 1, 2015:
New River-Fields Dam (Grayson County) downstream to the VA-WV state line and its tributaries Little River downstream from Little River Dam in Montgomery County, Big Walker Creek from the Norfolk and Western Railroad Bridge downstream to the New River, and Wolf Creek from the Narrows Dam downstream to the New River in Giles County (This does not include Claytor Lake which is delineated as: The upper end of the island at Allisonia downstream to the dam.) No bass 14 to 22 inches, only 1 per day longer than 22 inches, 5 per day in the aggregate.
- New River upstream of Buck Dam in Carroll County: No walleye less than 20 inches, creel limit 5 per day
- Claytor Lake and the New River upstream of Claytor Lake Dam to Buck Dam in Carroll County:
- February 1 to May 31: 2 walleye per day; no walleye 19 to 28 inches
- June 1 to January 31: 5 walleye per day; no walleye less than 20 inches
- New River downstream from Claytor Dam: The statewide limits of 5 walleye per day, no walleye less than 18 inches apply in this section.
- 1 per day
- no Musky less than 42 inches (includes Claytor Lake)
North Carolina fishing licenses or permits are honored on the mainstream portion of the river from the confluence of the North and South Forks of the New River in North Carolina (Alleghany County), downstream to the confluence of the New and Little Rivers in Virginia (Grayson County).