The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C) built Lower Sherando Lake (20 acres) in the mid-1930s, and the U.S. Soil Conservation Service built Upper Sherando Lake (seven acres) in 1958, both as flood control lakes. They are owned by the U. S. Forest Service and located in the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests. Full recreational facilities include campgrounds, swimming beach, bathhouse, and hiking trails. Small boats and canoes must be carried in, as there is no ramp. Lower Sherando has a very good largemouth bass fishery. Bluegill and redear sunfish angling improved in the 1990s. Trophy channel catfish are present due to some changes in the stocking plan. Both lakes are stocked with catchable trout. The upper lake was drained in October 2001 and was restocked with largemouth bass, bluegill, and redear sunfish in 2002. Trout stocking and channel catfish stocking also resumed in 2002 in the upper lake.