License Requirements

See Fishing License Information & Fees for details and costs.

Residents Fishing for Trout (all residents 16 years of age)

  1. A state freshwater fishing license
  2. Fishing a Designated Stocked Water?—an additional trout license.
  3. Fishing in most waters within the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests?—a National Forest Stamp
  4. Fishing special regulation streams—some require a signed landowner permit card which can be obtained from certain VDGIF offices and streamside landowners (see individual stream descriptions)

Non-Residents Fishing for Trout

  1. Fishing a Designated Stocked Water?—a nonresident state freshwater fishing license (five-day, nonresident licenses are available), a nonresident trout license (designated stocked trout waters), and a National Forest Stamp (where appropriate).
  2. Fishing in wild trout or most special regulation waters?—only a nonresident state freshwater fishing license, National Forest Stamp (where appropriate) and landowner permit cards (see individual stream descriptions).

Note: The trout license is only required from October 1 through June 15. From June 16 through September 30 anglers can fish in stocked trout waters without a trout license.

Fee Fishing Areas require a daily fishing permit.