See Fishing License Information & Fees for details and costs.
Residents Fishing for Trout (all residents 16 years of age)
- A state freshwater fishing license
- Fishing a Designated Stocked Water?—an additional trout license.
- Fishing in most waters within the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests?—a National Forest Stamp
- Fishing special regulation streams—some require a signed landowner permit card which can be obtained from certain VDGIF offices and streamside landowners (see individual stream descriptions)
Non-Residents Fishing for Trout
- Fishing a Designated Stocked Water?—a nonresident state freshwater fishing license (five-day, nonresident licenses are available), a nonresident trout license (designated stocked trout waters), and a National Forest Stamp (where appropriate).
- Fishing in wild trout or most special regulation waters?—only a nonresident state freshwater fishing license, National Forest Stamp (where appropriate) and landowner permit cards (see individual stream descriptions).
Note: The trout license is only required from October 1 through June 15. From June 16 through September 30 anglers can fish in stocked trout waters without a trout license.
Fee Fishing Areas require a daily fishing permit.