Freshwater/Saltwater License Lines on Tidal Waters
Persons fishing upstream of the designated lines on the following waters must have a valid freshwater fishing license while those fishing below the lines must have a valid saltwater fishing license:
|Potomac River*||Rt. 301 Bridge|
|Rappahannock River||Rt. 360 Bridge|
|Piankatank River/Dragon Run||The 1st set of power lines immediately upriver of Anderson Point|
|York River System (including the Mattaponi and Pamunkey Rivers)||Rt. 33 Bridges|
|James River||A line connecting Hog Point on Hog Island (Surry County) and the downstream point of the mouth of College Creek (James City County).|
Below these designated lines a freshwater or saltwater license will be valid on any tidal portion of any tributary entering the above mainstem waters.
The following waters are entirely freshwater and require a freshwater fishing license throughout:
- Meherrin River
- Nottoway River
- Blackwater River (Chowan drainage)
- Back Bay, Northwest River, and North Landing River and Intercoastal Waterway upstream to Great Bridge Locks
- Dismal Swamp Canal below (or South) of Deep Creek Locks
* Please see reciprocal license section.
The Fall Line is defined as the following landmarks:
- Rappahannock River: Rt. 1 Bridge;
- Mattaponi River: Rt. 360 Bridge;
- Pamunkey River: Rt. 360 Bridge;
- Chickahominy River: Walkers Dam;
- James River: 14th Street Bridge;
- Occoquan River: I-95 Bridge.