The following regulation changes are new for 2013. More details can be found in sections that follow this summary.
- In a continuing effort to save money and streamline operations, the Watercraft Owners Guide is now included with the Fishing Guide.
- A Facility Use Permit has been established, effective January 1, 2012 (see Fishing License Information & Fees).
Game/Sport Fish Regulations
- The Virginia Marine Resources Commission enacted a ban on the possession of river herring in tidal waters, effective January 1, 2012, due to the collapse of the stock and to comply with an Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission directive.
- The slot limit (no harvest) for largemouth bass in Briery Creek lake was changed from 14-24 to 16-24 inches.
- The 20 inch minimum size and one fish creel limits for bass in the Staunton River were modified to just include smallmouth bass (creel limit of 5 fish in aggregate and no minimum size for largemouth and spotted bass).
- The downstream regulatory boundary on the Staunton river was changed from the US Route 360 Bridge to the mouth of Difficult Creek.
- The 26 inch minimum size limit for striped/hybrid striped bass in Buggs Island (Kerr) Reservoir from October 1 through May 31 was reduced to 24 inches.
- The upstream boundary for Buggs Island (Kerr) fishing regulations on the Dan River was moved from the Brantley Steam plant to the Union Street Dam in Danville.
- A 10 fish per day creel limit for yellow perch was established for Lake Moomaw.
- Catfish and bowfin have been added to species that may be harvested with bow and arrow (in tidal waters only).
- Crossbows may now be used as a legal method to bow fish.
- Regulations for marine species of fish in
Back Bay, Lake Tecumseh, North Landing
River and their tributaries were established
- Red drum- minimum length 18 inches, maximum length 27 inches, 1 per day
- Spotted sea trout (speckled trout) - minimum length of 14 inches, 4 per day
- Grey trout (weakfish) - minimum length of 12 inches, 1 per day
- Southern flounder - minimum length 15 inches, 6 per day
- Middle Fork Powell River (Wise Co.) has been removed from the Catchable Trout Program. See page 18
- Landowner permits and maps for the special regulation sections of Buffalo Creek (Rockbridge CO.), Mossy Creek (Augusta Co.), and Upper South River (Augusta Co.) are now available online at the DGIF website
- An interactive mapping application for stocked trout waters and special regulation trout waters is now available on DGIF's website
- Thompson WMA Pond in Fauquier County will continue to be stocked as a category A water provided water levels are sufficient to accomplish stockings.