Richmond Falcon Cam

Monday, November 24, 2008

Richmond FalconCam Active

Following the failure of the 2008 falcon brood, DGIF biologists continued to monitor the nest site through the Falcon Cam in the hopes of documenting a renesting attempt by the pair. Although the falcons were occasionally seen on camera, they did not renest at the site. Throughout the summer and fall the falcons continued to be seen sporadically. This pair does not seem to be migratory, although they may wander over a much larger area during the non-breeding season.

The Falcon Cam has been broadcasting intermittently over the past several months as we have attempted to troubleshoot network and equipment issues. On Thursday, November 20th DGIF staff were able to restore full functionality to the camera. The decision has been made to leave the feed active at this time as a service for Falcon Cam watchers who enjoy viewing the nest site outside of the falcons’ breeding season. Please note, however, that this blog WILL NOT be regularly updated until we are closer to the breeding season. In addition, any network outages/equipment issues that may affect the Falcon Cam will be dealt with as staff schedules permit.

NEWS from 2008

DGIF biologists were able to recover only a few egg shell fragments following the falcons’ removal of their final egg from the nest site, which marked the failure of their 2008 brood. These fragments were submitted to the Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study lab at the University of Georgia for testing. As there were no tissues contained within these fragments, the testing was limited to heavy metal screening. Iron, Manganese, Zinc and Copper were all detected at levels well within normal limits. No other metals were detected by the screening. At this time the factors that contributed to the nest failure are still unknown.

At the time of the nest failure, the gravel present in the nest box had been used by the falcons as a scrape for multiple successful broods with no apparent ill effect. Although there were no indications that any contaminant was present, we replaced the gravel with fresh gravel as a precautionary measure