Virginia Lifetime Boater's Card
Our new Lifetime Virginia Boating Safety Education Card is available to those who meet the boating safety education requirement. This durable, drivers license styled card is available for a fee of $10.00. If you meet any of the below listed requirements - you may apply for this card.
- Completed a NASBLA approved boating safety course (U.S. Power Squadrons, U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, other states' classroom boating safety courses, or internet courses that are accepted by DGIF)
- Completed a Virginia Challenge Exam
- Have lost your original Boat Virginia card
- Possess or once possessed a valid license to operate a vessel issued to maritime personnel by the United States Coast Guard or a marine certificate issued by the Canadian government (please note, your card will not be printed with the NASBLA seal)
- Possess a Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator's Card
- Possess or once possessed a commercial fisherman registration (please note, your card will not be printed with the NASBLA seal)
- Current or previous surface warfare officer/enlisted surface warfare specialist certification in the United States Navy.
(Note: A copy of a valid DD-214 or certification from your Command will fulfill this requirement. No other military exemptions are currently allowed under the Code of Virginia.)
Note: Boaters who complete a NASBLA Approved, DGIF accepted online course or meet the requirements as per the above list of criteria are eligible for this card.